In addition to the Pet Health Care Library, we have provided the following links to websites that provide some great information on a variety of topics related to veterinary medicine and pet health care. We will update this page frequently, and would love to hear your ideas on links that you would like to see us add to this page to share with other pet owners. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information in these links. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. Feel free to send us your favorites. If we like them, we will add them to our list!
- American Association of Feline Practitioners
The AAFP is like the American Medical Association for cat doctors, and has lots of good information regarding feline health
- American Veterinary Medical Association
This site is a good starting point to learn more about a variety of topics, including the latest subjects in veterinary medicine
- Behavior problems
- If your pet is having behavioral problems, you may need a board-certified veterinary behaviorist. A veterinary behaviorist is a veterinarian that has gone back to school for 4 more years to study behavior, similar to an MD that goes back to school to become a psychiatrist. We are fortunate to have a board-certified behaviorist available in Orlando (there are only about 50 in the entire country!). For more information about behavior consultations, please visit Dr Juarbe-Diaz's website: www.drjddvm.com.
- Visit our handout page several useful handouts on specific behavior problems.
- Breeds of Dogs
The AKC website provides a quick reference guide to many breeds of dogs, including photos and brief descriptions of each breed's characteristics. For breeds of cats, try The Cat Fanciers' Association.
- Dog Parks
Here's a list of Orange County's dog parks.
- Find a pet
Looking for a pet to adopt? Petfinder.com provides an online resource for searching for a new pet from local animal shelters. The SPCA of Central Florida and Orange County Animal Services are other good sources.
- Fleas and Ticks
The following links provide information on fleas and ticks. If you are having problems with fleas, Merial has an excellent Flea Questionnaire to help determine why you may be having difficult controlling fleas. The Vectra & Trifexis websites have good overviews about fleas and ticks.
This site is sponsored by Elanco, the makers of Trifexis and Comfortis, and has useful information on heartworm prevention for pet owners.
- Heartworm Disease
Everything you ever wanted to know about heartworm disease can be found here!
- Infectious Diseases and Parasites
The Centers For Disease Control and Prevention provides detailed information on infectious diseases and parasites of people and pets. The CDC has an excellent brochure on Toxoplasmosis. The Companion Animal Parasite Council is another useful resource for parasites information, including tips on protecting your family from parasites.
The AVID website has useful information on microchips for pets.
- National Animal Poison Control Center
This is the website of the National Animal Poison Control Center. It includes a library, links to other sites, and phone numbers for the poison control center.
The Hill's-Science Diet is an excellent resource for pet nutrition. The following websites have useful information for home cooked recipes; the sites are managed by board certified veterinary nutritionists: petdiets.com and balanceit.com. (A small fee is required for a customized nutrition plan.)
The Orthopedic Foundation for Animals is an excellent resource for orthopedic and genetic diseases of pets.
- Pet Insurance
Many insurance companies provide pet insurance. We recommend Pets Best Insurance.
- Pet Sitter
Need a pet sitter? We recommend Tiki Tails. There website is http://www.tikitails.com/
- Specialists/Second Opinions
Affiliated Veterinary Specialists is a local veterariny speciality hospital with specialists in many disciplines including surgery, internal medicine, ophthalmology, dermatology, neurology, dentistry, and behavior among others.
- For USDA travel requirements to another country click here
- For USDA travel requirements to another state click here
- For pet friendly hotels try pettravel.com
- USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
The USDA maintains this website with information on a variety of animal health related topics, including the latest news on such things as Mad Cow Diseases, foot and mouth disease, and many other things.
- Veterinary Information Network
VIN is the world's first and largest online veterinary community
- Veterinary Schools in the US
This is a great link to all of the websites of veterinary schools in the United States.